Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Mess Kantin

 A stone's throw away from Tawau Airport is Mess Kantin, an unassuming cafe tucked away in the middle of what I recall as either an oil palm plantation or a forest reserve. As we were nearing the building, I noticed that it was a white church, as there was a cross on the outside. Ah, so it is attached to a church. However, when I searched on Google for information, there is no mention of a church. Instead, the cafe is attached to a bed and breakfast place called Tiku White House.

To enter the cafe, we used a side entrance. I thought the black and white gave it character. I noticed that the building is perched on a hillside and is surrounded by greenery. 


White seems to be their main colour. Even their coffee machine is white. One other thing that stood out was how cold their air-conditioning was.


The team were all youngsters, probably college or university students. One notable person was the barista, a young girl who continuously made coffee, which made me look forward to my cuppa. I then recalled seeing this cafe on Jason Loo's IG a few years back, who was here for the first Borneo Barista Retreat.

Ah, so yes, coffee here is not bad at all. The latte art, too. Look at the cute squirrel.


Dad had their Streaky Beef Sourdough (RM19.90), which essentially is sourdough served with scrambled eggs, streaky beef, mushrooms and salad.


We also tried their burgers - Salted Egg Burger (RM25.90) and Messy Eggcited Burger (RM23.90). I wondered why they use charcoal burger buns and whether they baked them on-site.



The full panels of glass allowed us full view of the outdoors, which added to the ambience especially when it was raining while we were eating. It did not help that it made it even colder, though.


If I ever have another chance of patronising again, I would give their dessert menu a try. And more of their coffee. Also, hopefully it would not be raining the next time I visit, so that I could walk about in their outdoor compound.

So, do not go thinking that Tawau is a small place with no hipster cafes.

Tiku White House, 2112 Jalan Sin On Tiku, Kampung Sin On Tiku, 91000 Tawau, Sabah, Malaysia
M: +6013-216 5259; E: messkantin@gmail.com
Daily 10:00am to 6:00pm
FB | IG

No comments: