Friday, November 22, 2013

Shanghai Stories 1938

Shanghai Stories 1938 is the fine dining cousin of a chain called Taste of Shanghai. I did not realise until I read their menu. I let my friend do the ordering, as she was familiar with the food.

We started with a super crunchy House Special Prawn Toast ($9.80), which essentially was like you tiao but with prawn in it. Have too much of this and you would get a sore throat the next day. A tad overpriced, I felt.


As it was my first time trying the Steamed Pork Belly with Cucumber and Garlic ($12.80), I found it a refreshing dish. It felt unusual having to eat pork belly served cold.


The Poached Pork Dumplings in Chilli Oil ($9.80) were slightly overcooked for my liking but had a spicy kick due to the chilli oil.


The Szechuan Grandma Tofu ($17.80) was just average to me and for that price, I have had better.


The most reasonably priced dish of the evening was the Noodle Soup with Snow Cabbage and Shredded Pork ($9.80). The portion was huge, although the soup leaned more towards the bland spectrum. It reminded me of the plain noodles that I have when I fall sick (minus the snow cabbage and shredded pork, of course).


I did not expect the Osmanthus Rose Jelly ($8.80) to be sticky. It tasted more like mochi than jelly but apparently, this is a popular street food in Shanghai.


I left feeling unimpressed, especially with how we had to ask for the same thing thrice and needless to say, the price. Unless I feel like splurging, I would rather dine at Taste of Shanghai and pay less for the same food.

Shanghai Stories 1938 on Urbanspoon

Shanghai Stories 1938
Shops 4 & 6 The Concourse, 409 Victoria Avenue, Chatswood, NSW 2068, Australia
Tel: +61 2 9412 3880, Fax: +61 2 9585 8853, E-mail: info@shanghaistories1938.com.au
Open daily from 11:00am to 4:00pm and 5:30pm to 10:00pm

No comments: