Saturday, March 12, 2016

Midsummer Night Cafe 仲夏夜

Located above a car workshop, this unassuming cafe is the brainchild and a side hobby/income of Jon, a person who lectures at a local institution. It is obvious from the interior decor that he is someone who is really into the movie business. Or at least, arts and entertainment.


The main wall is lined with posters of both Western and Asian content. On both my visits, I felt strange having Maleficent watch me drink my coffee. 


There are also other movie-related paraphernalia and magazines for fellow movie enthusiasts.


I know I should not be choosing my coffee based on pretty photos, but I was so tempted to. Thankfully, the very friendly Jon explained the coffee and recommended his signature Dream coffee - star-shaped coffee ice cubes, iced coffee, gula Melaka, milk and butter cookies. A little DIY was needed, as I had to add the ingredients according to personal liking.


Evon, although not much a coffee person, was game enough to try the Pineapple Coffee. We could not quite picture how pineapple and coffee could go together but they surprisingly did. Jon explained that he sources fresh pineapples from Sarawak (my guess it would have been from Sarikei, also known as Pineapple Town), fresh-press the fruits and then freeze them into these cute little pineapple ice balls you see floating in the glass of cold coffee that Chow Yun-fat is looking at below.


They serve food, too. Probably the only main dish they serve here is Japanese rice. You could have Japanese rice with just onsen egg or also with shishamo. I really love this bowl of onsen egg rice - I drove all the way here just to have this bowl of rice, in fact.


No food outing with Evon is complete without dessert, and so we decided on sharing a Rum and Raisin Chocolate. I told her she would not regret trying this and indeed, she loved it. She nearly ordered another serving but held back after thinking of all the dieting that she has undergone to achieve her current weight. I laughed myself silly watching her in dilemma.


Even without the food, the cafe is worth a visit just for a good session of chillaxing. Or studying. How cool is doing work with Doraemon watching over you? ;)

Midsummer Night Cafe Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Midsummer Night Cafe 仲夏夜
36A Jalan Awan Hijau, Taman Overseas Union, 58200 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tel: +60 3 7971 2345
Tuesday to Friday 7:00pm to midnight
Weekends 3:00pm to midnight

No comments: