Monday, September 07, 2009

Trying to settle in

Today is my 4th day back in Sydney. My take so far on things around here: nothing much has changed. Oh, well, maybe one or two buildings have disappeared la. Let's see if I can list some of them here...

> The Maccas at Darling Harbour has relocated.
> The beer factory opposite UTS has since been torn down.
> Shalom has opened a branch on Sussex Street. The Shalom in Broadway has upgraded.
> QVB went through refurbishments. They now have a glass roof that allows more natural light into the building, thus making the place feel wider.
> Macquarie University Station is now OPEN!
> There is this green bus called the CBD Shuttle that allows commuters to travel for FREE in the city.
> Oh, we MUST travel with a TravelTen during office hours.
> Michele's Pattisserie in Galleries Victoria is no longer Michele's. It is now a cafe called Couch.
> Mamak has expanded! They took over the shop next door and yet the queue is still as long!
> Jenny shifted the furniture in her room around to accommodate more stuff.

But it feels good to be back. Could not help smiling to myself while I was walking from Central, through the park, along the busy George Street to Jenny's place. Ah, of course, it was also the people I met up with that made it all the more worthwhile. So far, here's what I have done:

> Had brunch with Jenny at Pancakes on the Rock. Browsed through the flea market, as well, and got to know Yeak Ping Lian's sister who was manning her stall there.
> Walked all the way back from Circular Quay to Chinatown.
> Had dinner at Kura (yes, I finally get to eat my egg udon and yummy takoyaki!) with Angeline, Jenny, Diane and Melvin. Dessert was had at Lindt's Cafe over in Darling Harbour.
> Spent the night gossiping and updating each other at Jenny's.
> Went for yumcha (in this case, it was HK style yumcha = dimsum) at Palace Restaurant with Angeline and Chee Sing.
> Spent time chattering at Angeline's place until it was time to meet up with Edison at Fitzy's Cafe.
> Walked to the Quadrant and had dinner at Shalom with Edison, Jenny, Chee Sing, Angeline and Jia Lin, Edison's housemate and also Jenny's future neighbour.
> Did more walking from Broadway all the way back to Jenny's place.

I think I have still not converted back to Aussie timing, as I was tossing and turning in bed even at 12 midnight! I could not get myself to sleep at all! Gah, and the cold did not help, either! I mean, how do you get used to temperature half of that of where you were?

I will be meeting Emma in 1.5 hours. Hopefully, meeting her in person would clear some air on what will happen next year. Hm, wonder is XW is free for lunch.....

No comments: