Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Happy birthday, my dear...

Birthdays hold different meanings for different people. While some people think of it as a milestone worth celebrating, some think of it as another passing day. For me, it is a bit of both but when it is someone else's, it means a lot.

Today, someone very dear to me turns 30. I have known him since January 2001. In a blink of an eye, our friendship has lasted for 12 years and counting. Of course, like any ship that sails the unpredictable seas, we have had our fair share of rough and calm waters, unexpected weather and the occasional surprise visit by a whale or dolphin.

To that special someone;

I am thankful that I made the decision to give 6th Form a try because otherwise, I would not have sat behind you.

I am thankful that I knew the teacher-in-charge of the class through tuition because otherwise, she would not have given me the opportunity to take up a class committee position.

I am thankful that I accepted the class committee position because otherwise, I would not have had the opportunity to work with you.

I am thankful that you were (and still are) a really friendly and helpful person because otherwise, I would not have had the courage to befriend you.

I am thankful that you were heaps better at Maths than I was because otherwise, I would not have had so much attention from you in class.

I am thankful that you believed in me (and continue to) because otherwise, I would not have managed to overcome the thoughts I had.

I am thankful that we went through what we did because otherwise, we would not have matured in the way we view each other and in the way that we are accepting of each other.

I am thankful that I did not reject the possibility of us becoming friends again after our fallout because otherwise, I would have lost a person who understands me really well.

I am thankful that despite everything, we are still friends and that our friendship has grown stronger throughout the years.

For all the phone calls, messages, cards, presents, meals, movies, impending tropical getaway, hugs and support. For your presence in my life.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Happy birthday...

No comments: