Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Sambal Scott Garden

Every time I head home and drive down the extremely familiar roads around OUG, Happy Garden, and Taman Desa, I become slightly disoriented because each time there would be a new building or new highway. One such new building (or at least it was never there during my school days when I used Old Klang Road daily) is Scott Garden, a complex of shops and private dwellings facing the wet market and post office.

A stone's throw away from Taman Desa, it very quickly became a convenient meeting point for gatherings and reunions. One evening, we randomly decided to head there for dinner before Dor headed back to Auckland. None of us had any experience dining there so any outlet would not matter, which was how we ended up eating at Sambal.

I giggled when I saw the name and let out a louder chuckle when I saw the interior because the name reminded me of the Sambal in Sydney but the interior was the opposite. While the Sydney version was more 'high class', this KL place had a more kampung feel, with wooden planks and all.


And since sambal is one of the main ingredients of nasi lemak (RM9.00), we figured that at least one of us should order a nasi lemak to try. All the important stuff were on the plate - lemak rice, egg, cucumber, fried anchovies, sambal and a small cutting of banana leaf, even but my oh my, we were fooled by its appearance. The sambal (and the rendang) were SUPER SPICY! Thank goodness for the huge portion of rice that was fragrant (and the cucumber slices) that helped provide a slight cooling effect.


We also tried their fried kuay teow. This Malay version is very similar to the Chinese version of char kuay teow (RM9.00, add RM1.50 for fried egg) that we are all familiar with, minus the pork lard but plus lots of greens. Other than it being a little too oily, we were happy with the wok hei.


The staff were friendly and the place was clean and airy. Drinks were a little slow to arrive but they were apologetic about it and I was given a discount for the delay (I did not ask for a discount, honest). Would visit again to try other dishes.

1-12 & 1-13 The Scott Garden, Kompleks Rimbun Scott, 289 Jalan Kelang Lama, 58100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tel: +60 3 7987 7101, Fax: +60 3 7982 8277; Mob: +60 12 214 8963; Email: enquiries@sambal-nasilemak.com
Open daily 10:00am to 10:00pm

No comments: