Sunday, November 07, 2010

Michael's birthday brunch at Latteccino

Having had a late night, all of us had a little sleep in and decided to go out for brunch before doing our groceries. I think it was our first grocery shopping session together as housemates, all three of us. Despite living across the train line from two cosy cafes, we have not ventured across for gastronomical means and so, we took Michael's birthday as an excuse to try them out.

We decided on the cafe situated at the end of the row of shops. Xin Wen was skeptical at first because the cafe was rather empty inside with only two seated tables outside. I was not really bothered maybe because I was on the phone with Emma talking about our project.


Latteccino makes all their pastas fresh and has Daniel Andronico as head chef. He started as an apprentice at Hilton Hotel Sydney and continued to refine his skills at the Stamford Hotel Sydney and Aria Sydney before heading to the UK to work at Harvey Nichols London and The International London. After a couple of years, he returned to Australia to take up a year long residence at the iconic Machiavelli Ristorante Sydney before moving on to Mezzauna Ristorante Potts Point as head chef & finally calling Latteccino his new kitchen.


I liked the simple decor and I thought it was particularly clever to have a skylight - saves cost on electricity and it is environmentally-friendly, as well. The staff were friendly and service was quick. It was clean and you could tell that they are popular for their coffee, as the lunch crowd built up despite the rain. Michael also told us that he has seen the morning crowd, which is a good crowd, as well.

And why would they not be loved? I thought their mocha (which Xin Wen is starting to order lots of since our last visit to Cafe Ish) and chai latte was flavoursome and fragrant. I ordered a pot of green sencha, which had Michael comment on how I enjoy ordering tea.



Just shortly after our drinks, the food arrived. First at the table was my order of French Brioche Toast with poached fruit and lemon infused mascarpone:



I did not really taste the lemon in the mascarpone but I loved the overall flavour of it. It felt as though I was having wine for brekkie with the juice the poached fruit came in. I also had a jolly good time finishing every last bit of the kiwi, apple and banana pieces!

Xin Wen ordered a Smoked Salmon and Potato Rosti Stack with poached egg, baby spinach and a dill olive oil infusion:



I kept looking at her poached eggs. I am a total sucker for eggs! But due to my limited appetite, I did not flick a small piece of her. Haha.. but by the looks of the empty plate licked clean after, I am guessing that her dish was lip-smackingly delicious (and not to mention healthy).

Michael being Michael, he wanted to try something that was a 'house' meal. So, he decided to try their Latteccino Breakfast with eggs, bacon, sausages, potato rosti, mushrooms, home-made baked beans and Italian toast:



I thought the baked beans looked weird but perhaps that was due to the fact that they were 'home-made'. It was such a large serving - definitely worth the price paid.

Thank you for brunch, Xin Wen!

Latteccino on Urbanspoon

Latteccino
21A Victoria Avenue, Concord West Village, NSW 2138
02 9743 3883 (Tel), 02 9743 3384 (Fax)
eat@latteccino.com.au
Monday - Tuesday 7:00am - 4:00pm
Wednesday - Saturday 7:00am - 10:30pm
Sunday 8:00am - 4:00pm

Home and corporate catering also available

No comments: