Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Of fireflies and prawn crackers

I think the title is obvious enough. Yes, we went to Kuala Selangor to catch a glimpse colony of fireflies. As Hannah has never seen fireflies before, I thought it would be a memorable experience for her. Thus, Saturday evening was drafted as 'Firefly Night'.

Interestingly, Mum and Dad have never seen fireflies either! I'm the only one in the family who has. I felt so proud. Haha.. I still remember the time Dor, Weng, Lee Sih and I went on the same sampan to see the fireflies. Weng even had the guts to illegally capture one or two of those poor creatures to marvel at them. Needless to say, they didn't survive the bus trip back to our chalets, as they can only live on a specific type of mangrove tree. Unforgettable sight, I tell you! It was as if the riverbank had an endless supply of Christmas lights! We later found out from our boat rower that the fireflies live on those trees on a 20km stretch! Amazing!

And everyone must buy the prawn crakers sold in Kuala Selangor. Buy lots of them, keep them and fry them for Chinese New Year. You will absolutely get addicted to them. The crunchiness, the crispness, the aroma..... ah..... I will so miss all of that when I return to Sydney. I will leave Melaka to the next entry. And my not-so-fun outing with a few friends. =/ Oyasuminasai.

No comments: