Thursday, September 05, 2013

Yee Kee Porridge Restaurant 余記粥

Yee Kee Porridge Restaurant had humble beginnings. They had a small stall with just two tables and a few stools at the then Pasar Besar Seri Kembangan. They have been known to locals for the past 75 years and as you would have guessed from its name, it is a family business. In 2011, they relocated with the wet market but instead of remaining as a part of the new wet market, they are now housed in a more modern premise, with air-conditioning and all. 


As a young child, I would eagerly await Mum's return from the wet market with brekkie, which normally would be a piping hot bag of Yee Kee porridge. And not just any porridge for that matter, for it had to be their signature Pig Innards Porridge with Fried Five Spice Intestines. Hm... sounds boar-ishingly inviting, no?


I normally choose to sit out where it is not air-conditioned. It is relatively clean and service is friendly. Once they take your orders, your food and drinks should follow shortly. For drinks, I normally order their herbal tea, as there is no way I would be able to order any herbal tea (unless I visit Albee's) in Sydney.


The melt-in-your-mouth texture of the porridge is well-balanced with tender pork innards and crunchy fried intestines. The perfect meal for a cold, wet, rainy day. I especially miss this during the cold winter months.

Actually, now that I am looking at these photos, I do not think I have ever seen this variety of porridge in Sydney. At most, I would only be able to get Lean Pork with Century Egg Porridge. Sigh.

Yee Kee Porridge Restaurant 余記粥
43-1 Jalan 4/1, Taman Bukit Serdang, 43300 Seri Kembangan, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia (visible from the main road of Jalan 6/1)
Tel: +60 3 8943 6368
Tuesdays to Sundays 7:30am to 10:00pm

No comments: